text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

1970


1931-1970_07_Fliessband_63b72a5c31.jpg

Sartorius builds the first electronic precision and analytical balances (photo). The resulting boom in orders leads to the founding of numerous foreign subsidiaries, and contributes decisively to the significance of the Sartorius Group today.

1969


The first plate-and-frame crossflow ultrafiltration system for relatively large volumes premieres. This technology opens up new strategies for molecular biology and the separation of small hazardous molecules such as viruses from pharmaceutical products.

1967


The publically-traded Sartorius-AG is converted to a GmbH (a limited liability company).

1964


The first laboratory balances with an analog output debut.

1963


The cellulose acetate membrane is introduced as a carrier matrix for electrophoresis.

1960


1960B.jpg

Sartorius uses the first machine for automatic manufacture of synthetic membrane filters. As part of its global expansion, Sartorius establishes a growing number of international subsidiaries and sales offices.

1958

The analytical balance with production no. 100,000 is completed (photo).

1955


The first microbalance for weighing under normal atmospheric conditions is introduced.

1954


Sartorius’ first electromagnetic forcecompensating (EMC) balance, the Elektrono 1, enters commercial production.

1948


At the recommendation of Otto Hahn (chemist and Nobel Prize winner in 1944 and President of the Max-Planck Institute in Goettingen), Sartorius commences industrial-scale manufacture of hydrodynamic bearings (photo).

1947


1947C.jpg

In 1947, Erich Sartorius (photo, right) suddenly died. He had been in a leading position within the company for 41 years. His son, Horst Sartorius, takes over the management of the company in a time which is characterized by the rebuilding after World War II.

1937


After his brother Wilhelm passed away, Erich Sartorius takes over at the helm of the Sartorius-Werke AG as well as the membrane filter company, which is refounded as a partnership limited by shares (KG) and incorporated into the Sartorius AG.